I taught Sunday school for 2 years. Admittedly, it was not my favorite thing to do. I was there every week getting lessons set up while other teachers didn't show up (the type A in me when I have a task) and there were more and more kids. It was chaos at times, and I felt ineffective. I can sheepishly say that I might have complained about it once or twice to Brien despite taking responsibility for initially calling the director to ask if I could teach! We had to be at church EVERY single week...no last minute, "Let's just relax and enjoy a leisurely time as a family and not have to rush off somewhere again." I did it for Aiden. I did it because he was unsure about Sunday school. I did it because I felt like I needed to learn more while teaching my children. I did it because it taught positive good morals (from an outside source...important when you feel like your kids think anything you say is unwarranted) and I feel faith and spirituality are so important ( although they don't have to be connected with formal religion). I did it because I went to Sunday school as a kid and am glad I did. After 2 years, I "retired" and breathed a sigh of relief. He hasn't been to Sunday school in a few months now because of our move to OR, but he will go back when we are settled.
The other day as we drove in the car, from out out of the blue came this...
Aiden: Mom, remember when you were my Sunday School teacher?
Mom: Yes, I do! (how could I forget, right?)
Aiden: That was my favorite time when you were my teacher. You were the best teacher!
Mom: (trying not to cry) Thanks, Aiden. I enjoyed it too.
We often do things simply to enrich our children's lives. I had no idea how important this was to him at the time and that he remembers it...and appreciates it no less! As a mother, most of what we do goes unappreciated. What a gift he gave me in verbally acknowledging and appreciating my effort and that's all I need to make that 2 years of every Sunday entirely worth it!
2 comments:
awww... that's my boy!
You are an amazing teacher and an even more amazing mother. They couldn't have a better mother than you and I'm glad Aiden was able to tell you those sweet words.
Post a Comment