Monday, June 14, 2010

Exploring Caves!

We explored lots of fun caves.  This first one was actually a hollowed out tree that had fallen on it's side during the eruption.  It was then petrified by the rich minerals in the lava.  The result is a cave-like tube you can crawl through underground.  Aiden and Brien ventured down there with headlamps first.  Aiden was laughing the whole time!  Pure glee! 


Love this picture of my guys!

One happy boy to be exploring!


Here he is in the cave after he made the turn.  There was a long section and then a turn followed by another long section.  It was cold and wet and not a lot of space.  It definitely would not be a good space for someone who is claustrophobic!


Then it was mom's turn to go, too!  I'm an adventurer at heart, but cave or things resembling caves are not my love.  I didn't tell Aiden that.  It's one of those things I did only for him!  His smile and joy was WELL worth it!  There is nothing like a genuine Aiden Neudeck smile and laugh!


This is toward the end of the cave.


Ava decided she would try it as well!  She was fine until she panicked mid way, the headlamp fell over her eyes (she photo!) and she flipped out. :)  She made it, and we tried to focus on the positive!


Aiden and Brien explored the Ape Caves.  It is over 2 mi of underground caves.  It is pitch black dark, cold (40 degrees) and very wet and includes some nice friends such as mice, bats and lovely bugs that eat the moss and fungi that grow down there.  I wasn't super disappointed that Ava didn't want to go, since it was a lovely sunny day above ground.  She and I took a little hike and sat and talked.  The guys loved the caves and would go again!

No comments: