Monday, January 3, 2011

Ava's Homework

Ava came home from school today with another homework assignment which I would normally feel a little overwhelmed about (because who REALLY ends up spending the time facilitating this homework?).  However, I just had 5 days off work and had a good first day back and decided to approach it as time well spent with my Ava.  They are studying the solar system and she has to do a project on the earth.  It can be anything, literally anything, she wants to put together.  I also decided that although I would facilitate and support this project, it had to be her ideas, not mine.  First, she decided to make up a song with lyrics ranging from names of countries to who she's inviting to her birthday party.  She sang this like she was on Talent Search while I attempted not to laugh (she really is SO funny).  Then she wrote a poem (this is literally word for word what came out of her mouth):

Earth, Earth
What is your address?
You are floating in space.
Oh gravity, oh gravity

I was rather impressed with this poetic effort (recall that one of her favorite movies is Bill Nye the Science Guy: Gravity).  She then found the earth beach ball (thank you, Gma Stieber) and opted to do an interpretive dance with the earth to the song, "It's a Big World" by Renee and Jeremy (okay, I suggested the appropriate song).  Surely, nobody else in class will be doing interpretive dance like little Ms. Earth! :)  Stay tuned...she presents next week.


Ava with her creative thinking ears!


2 comments:

Liz said...

Please, please tell me there will be a way to videotape this presentation!!

Grandpa Moore said...

Way to go Ava. It is great being yourself. I know the presentation will be great.

Love,

G'pa and G'ma