Sunday, August 14, 2011

First Birthday Sleepover

Aiden had 4 boys for a sleepover to celebrate his 9th birthday.  I have to admit I was a little uneasy about an 18 hr party, but I remember great times at sleepovers and Aiden was so excited.  Ava was at a play date for the first part of the party, so Brien and I took the boys geocaching.  It was so fun, and all the boys really enjoyed it!  It was so great to get some energy out of them right away.  We had a cookout for dinner and then had Voo Doo doughnut "cake."  Essentially, it was a bunch of doughnuts piled up into a delicious mountain!  The Mallorys came to have cake, and all the kids were playing outside.  We did start a fire in the fire pit, but it turned out nobody was interested in s'mores except Ava.  Actually, I was surprised at the little amount of food they ate!  I bought all this food thinking we had hungry boys and all they really ate were chips and Orange Crush soda!  They came inside and watched a movie, "The Last Airbender", where they were acting out karate moves (somewhat wild!) and then played DSi and iTouch and did Legos.  At 12:15, I had them go into Aiden's room to settle in, and they were GLAD!  I didn't hear a peep out of them!  It was so easy!
It was so great to have an extended time with Aiden and his friends.  They are all really nice boys, and it's fun to know them all a little better now.  I panicked a little at the level of technology they knew (I feel super old!) and was amazed that ALL of them have iTouches with unlimited Internet access!  Brien and I were sitting in the room with them just watching and listening as if it were a social experiment.  Aiden is REALLY in the dark ages with the access we allow (essentially 1-2x/week he can play a game on the computer and we help him look things up if he has questions).  It's a little scary that we're getting into an age where I'm so naive.  I think I better find a book to better educate myself although I'm sure it's changing constantly.  At least I had a dose of reality that I really need to keep on my toes.  All in all, it was such a great party.  Happy Birthday to my sweet boy!  Here are a few photos...



The Birthday Boy and his Voo Doo doughnut cake! 


Almost to the hidden box!

Found it!


The geocachers and their treasure!


This is the painting we started 3 years ago at Aiden's party.  Every year, each
guest throws a spoon of paint on the canvas.  It changes each year and hangs
in our hallway upstairs.  It's fun to try to remember who did what splatter!



I loved being a "fly on the wall" and overhearing these conversations! :)

 


Trick candles that turned out not to be so tricky!





No comments: