Saturday, April 21, 2012

Golf Ball Meets Eyeball

We have lived here for a little over 3 years and until April 2012, we have not needed an ED.  In the beginning of April as Brien was in flight to Prague, I rushed Aiden into the ED with what they suspected was appendicitis.  They kept us overnight and released us late morning the next day when he was feeling better, not worse.  It was eventful to say the least, but it was amazing and humbling to see the support system we  have built here.  While it's difficult to be away from family, we have built an incredible family here.
Last night was our 2nd visit to the ED in 3 weeks.  Ava and Aiden were bringing in the garbage, and Aiden found a golf ball.  He decided to throw it into another neighbor's yard but instead managed to throw it into Ava's eye.  Brien and I are unclear about the events other than walking into the house and then hearing piercing screams from both of them that sounded clearly like pain.  Bless Ava's heart, she was still trying to bring in her garbage can after taking the hit (think Katniss Everdeen!). 
We iced, gave ibuprofen and assessed and felt it was a pretty strong hit, so we went into the ED.  We spent a few hours there with phenomenal staff and care and came out knowing there were no broken bones or inner eye issues/scratches.  They glued together her cut and assessed her vision.  Ava will probably eventually forget this incident.  Aiden will probably never forget this incident.  He felt so bad and was so worried about his sister.  I suspect he will be more careful in the future.
Today, she looks much better than last night.  She has a shiner with a little swelling and redness, but it's healing pretty quickly!

2 comments:

Kris said...

Oh no! It was bound to happen sooner or later with your active 2, but twice in one month?!

I'm glad the outcome was so good!

The Scheib Tribe said...

Oooh...poor thing! I have to admit your post made me giggle...I can just hear the screaming as you walked in. And poor Ava still bringing out the garbage after being hit...I can just see it! Way to be strong, girl!! ...and mom and dad too!!