Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Old Bath, New Bath

I had wanted to re-do the kids' bathroom for a long time, and I finally convinced Brien we could and should do it!  We hadn't done any remodeling before because we have always lived in new homes.  Our home we live in now is 13 y/o and starting to show it's wear and date.  As any remodel, this one came with it's fair share of drama.  We decided to hire out the tile and the drywall from the mirror that was glued to the wall, but we did the rest ourselves.  The drama was not from us but from the professional tile people who first broke a pipe, then put the wrong grout in and then had to re-do the entire floor because the grout lines were so unevenly spaced.  They were very gracious about it and even repaired the drywall in Brien's office after it "rained" into his office with the leak.  The floor itself was an 8 week process.  Ugh!  We ripped out the bathroom in early April and are finally using it again!  I'm really glad we did it and really glad it's done.  On to the next project...

This wasn't awful, but the cabinet was cheap and warped,
and the tile countertop grout was a magnet for pink
Barbie toothpaste.  We wanted to get rid of the huge mirror
covering the wall and big tiles on the floor which were
pretty big for such a small space.

The demolition created holes in the drywall because
the tile backsplash was glued to the wall.  We found a great
drywall guy who fixed this up within an hour!  It was
completely worth the money!


The finished product!  We used the craftsman tiles as our house is
craftsman style.  I wanted the vanity to look like a dresser and the top to be one
piece.  Brien wanted the old craftsman style hot and cold faucets.  We were
able to keep the existing light fixture and toilet to save money!  We had a hard
time with paint and ended up painting it 6 times (I did 4 and Brien did 2).  We ended
up with a warm cream color.  The bathroom is a little more grown up (no more
frog shower curtain!), but our kids are growing up and it's also the guest
bathroom.

1 comment:

Liz said...

It looks great! But 8 weeks... Yikes! I'm hoping to post my own before/after bathroom pics soon - I hope it doesn't take 8 weeks and 6 coats of paint! :)