Friday, September 11, 2009

Walnuts

Our neighbors have prolific Black Walnut trees in their yard. This summer, Kaenan and Aiden were shucking walnuts and came home with filthy hands. He didn't know what made his hands so dirty, and we could not get it off. We scrubbed! When we discovered what it was, we asked him not to play with the walnuts again. Last week, he again came home with these hands, and we talked to him AGAIN about not playing with walnuts. Apparently, Kaenan didn't play with them this time, since he knew he would get in trouble...go figure. Aiden wasn't so clever. AGAIN, we told him, "No playing with walnuts!!!" Well, last night he and Kaenan were playing, and when he came in, his hands showed evidence of walnuts. Being that this is the first week of school, I was horrified that he would go to school looking like he was unkempt when his teacher didn't know him very well yet. He said that he and Kaenan had created a business called "Walnuts, " and they were planning to sell the walnuts for $.05 each. While I applaud their entrepreneurial spirit, I told him their next order of business needed to be finding a way to shuck the walnuts without leaving the evidence of walnuts on their hands and in their fingernails! AND...just to be clear, I told him Ava and Aletta were not going to do the dirty work!!!! I can just hear the boys now..."Oh Ava! Oh Aletta!...." Needless to say, I was on my way out for a run when I discovered this, and I had a REALLY good run! :)



This picture does not do it justice! It's worse looking in real life, and it takes a good month to wear off.

100 times...maybe he won't "forget" again (it's already been twice prior to this!!!)

1 comment:

Liz said...

I know it really isn't funny... but really - did you ever think you'd be requiring your child to write "I will not play with walnuts????" Thanks for the smile - I needed it today!