Friday, July 2, 2010

Growing!

We had measured Ava within the last two weeks and marked it on the wall (this is the only way she will allow us to do it!).  Anyway, yesterday, Brien had her stand up against the wall again, and she was almost 1/2" taller!  Unbelievable!  Since we are around her all the time, it's harder to tell, but it seemed like she was taller when I would pick her up. 
I won't say this is without difficulty.  The daily "medicine" struggle has gotten worse lately.  I can't say I blame her.  Who wants a daily injection, raise your hand.  Taking her medicine was novel initially.  She even wanted to Skype relatives to show them how she takes her medicine.  Now, it seems she has realized that the medicine is here to stay, and she's fortunate that she cannot even understand the daunting concept of daily for the next 10 years!  All the charts, stickers, role playing, tv distractions, bribes and magic gloves in the world aren't going to make her like it or do it easily. 
Last night, she had me in tears as well.  The anticipation is terrible for her, and she might agree and then last minute, when you have the needle almost into her skin, she will start wiggling or running away (so not safe!).  Last night, she stopped me and said, "Mommy, I just need to tell you something....I just really don't like this medicine.  It hurts.  It's really hard for me, and I don't want to do it anymore." (her face was just so sad).  We talked about it for awhile.  We remembered the courage we saw in her belly on the ultrasound, and she replied, "I don't think my courage likes this medicine either."  We said a prayer.  When I got done, Ava said (with the cutest facial expression), "I don't hear God saying anything back." 
We  have always said that we would not hold her down for this and would let her take it on her own accord.  Last night, I patiently worked on it for 30 min and then Brien patiently took over and worked on it for 30 minutes (thank goodness for the co-parenting team).  It was getting WAY past bedtime, and she was getting more and more tired.  In the end, we went against our word and held her down to give her her medicine for the first time.  Again, I cried as I held her afterward and wrapped her in her blanket.  We're trying to do what's right for her, since she is not old enough to make that decision.  Somehow, holding your kid down to give her medicine doesn't instinctively feel right.
Ava has the most amazing free and happy spirit I have ever known.  I fear that this medicine will take that away.  I know we all have the strength and faith to persevere, but it doesn't mean it isn't a daily struggle for all of us.  I guess we can only hope that she will forgive us and know that as parents we aren't perfect and are only doing the best that we can to make good decisions on her behalf. 

2 comments:

Grandpa Moore said...

Sarah and Brien, I Love you.

Dad

Grandpa Moore said...

It takes a lot of courage to be a parent. Who knows what is right. I believe that you are doing the best you can at the time.

I can't wait for your visit.