
I signed both Aiden and Ava up for soccer camp this year. Ava was so excited that she was a "big kid" now and could go to the same camp as her brother. She picked out pink cleats and a purple ball. She had her hair pulled up and her shin guards on (even the smallest ones are so big they are all the way up to her knees). She could barely contain her excitement. Aiden has been to this camp before and always enjoys it, but he is a little more hesitant in the beginning of each camp as he doesn't know who will be there. We arrived, and there were no other girls her age and only a few boys who were all 6 y/o. She was BY FAR the smallest there. I attempted to remain calm and go with the flow. Surely the other 5 y/os were on their way, right?I hung around for a bit to watch. She just jumped right in and started kicking around with the BIG kids. She would stop and say, "Mom? Why are you still here? I'll see you after camp, and I'll tell you all about it." I reluctantly left to run some errands worrying the whole time....will she know where the porto potty is? Who will take her? Will she get tired? Will she feel okay asking for help? Will Aiden watch out for her like I asked to which he begrudgingly sighed?
Why do I worry about this girl? She is confident and enjoys life to the fullest. I need to let the leash out a little bit. She's fine. She's going to make her way through life doing it Ava's way, and little by little she'll need me less and less. This is how it's supposed to be, but I have to admit it makes me a little sad. My kids are growing up in spite of me, but I'm thankful for every moment I get to be along for the ride!
No comments:
Post a Comment